Indicator bracket

Your shed is where it all happens! Just a single photo and caption please. Use "Your chopper project" for sets of photos and explanation of your project Send photos and comments to andrew@choppersaustrali.com
tigerbob

Indicator bracket

Post by tigerbob » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 pm

I will soon have an FLH rear guard ready to put on my 94 dyna convertible. I had originally intended on mounting the indicators directly onto the guard. I drilled the holes then realised that the factory saddle bags would be in the way. I filled the holes and pondered what to do as anywhere else I put them on the guard would look wrong.

As you can see below, the indicators would have been quite low on the guard. I did get some small indicators but even they were too intrusive.

As I will be using a Lucas style tail light I decided a bracket that attached to the light/number plate holder would be the way to go.

I worked out the length required and cut a length of steel angle. I then drilled a couple of holes so I could have radiused corners for the cut out that would allow me to mount the bracket around the light unit. I used wide masking tape stuck on the angle so I could more easily see the marks I made with a clutch pencil.

All the cuts were made with a hacksaw except the cut that runs parallel to the angle. I used a 4" angle grinder with a 1mm blade to do this.

That left a slight burr that I cleaned up with a file.

I then welded a washer to the end of the angle using a mig with gasless wire. Not the neatest way of doing it but that's what I've got...

I ran a bead through 90 degrees of the washer then bent the rest of the tab to follow the radius of the washer (I forgot to take pics of the procedure).

The first side done and time for a test fit.

The finished bracket

The bracket will be painted silver so it matches the guard as it means I won't have to pay to get it chromed or metal finish it to a high standard.
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Indicator bracket

Post by Prof » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Holes to give radius in corners is a good way to do it.

For marking, try texta and a sharpened spoke as a scribe.

Thanks for showing you work... nice tidy job and a great encouragement to buddy chopper jocks.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Great work, been thinking along similar lines. Keep up the good work.
Youngblood

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:56 pm

Beaut job.! Looks very professional, keep it up. :D
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

tigerbob

Post by tigerbob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Thanks guys! I'm fairly happy with it considering I had a few ideas bouncing around in my head with no clear intention when I started. I just looked to see what steel I had in the 'shed' and went from there, making it up as I went along...

Was hoping to get in in primer the same day so I can paint it when I do my tins but that will be a job for another day. I still have to sand the primered tins so there may be touch ups required anyway.
'94 Dyna Convertible
'73 TR6 Tiger - chopper under construction
'71 T140v Bonneville

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Don't forget most primers are porous, meaning moisture can penetrate though the primer and can start rusting from underneath the paint. So don’t leave your parts in a moist environment and paint as soon as possible.
Youngblood

Bearcx

Post by Bearcx » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:02 pm

tigerbob wrote:Thanks guys! I'm fairly happy with it considering I had a few ideas bouncing around in my head with no clear intention when I started. I just looked to see what steel I had in the 'shed' and went from there, making it up as I went along...
Love your thinking. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention" Some of the most creative work comes from when the right part isn't available.
The brave may not live long, but, the cautious do not live at all.

Return to “In The Shed Pics”