Couple of little ideas I had

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

Oldschoolpaulie

Couple of little ideas I had

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:31 am

I know I'm no fabricator by any measure next to the guys on this board, but I had a couple of little ideas recently that worked out pretty nice for my pro street Roadstar.
First, I ordered a GPS speedo from Speedhut, which you can design online to your specs. Problem is that the Speedhut speedos are really made for installation in a dash, with a spin ring on the back- so I had to make a gauge cup from exhaust tubing, then had a welder friend weld it for me. I then took it to a local chromer, and put it on the bike.
Second thing is that my crankcase vent tube was ran up to my hypercharger. (Yeah, I know, you either hate HCs or love them) The HC has a groove in the bottom rear that I'm guessing is there so it will get enough air at a standstill. When I would ride all day on hot days, just a few drops of oil would come out through the groove- which wouldn't be a big deal, except they would land right on my pipes. There was a bolt connecting the hypercharger bracket to the mounting bracket between the jugs near the bottom.. so I had the same friend weld a socket cap screw to the back of the flask, and used it to replace that bolt. Then I ran my vent tube into the flask.

Oldschoolpaulie

Re: Couple of little ideas I had

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:32 am

Oldschoolpaulie

Post by Oldschoolpaulie » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:33 am

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:26 am

That Speedhut speedo looks pretty cool.

Had a look at their website... http://www.speedhut.com/about-legacygauges.html

Sounds like a great option for choppers to save having a speedo drive, although it doesn't work in tunnels, Most of us however have a reasonable idea of our speed judging our bikes revs.

flask is a pretty cool looking idea.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Post by TriNortchopz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:56 am

I like that GPS speedo. Any chance of an update on how it has worked? I am wondering about the GPS antennae they mention on the website - what is it, and how did you install that?

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”