Hello from Yukon,Canada

Introduce yourself... area where you live, your bike or bike plans, kind of riding you like to do, a bit of your biking of history, interests, family etc
TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Hello from Yukon,Canada

Post by TriNortchopz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:05 pm

Hello all,
I am living in Northern Canada,near Haines Junction, Yukon. Been building chops since the early '80's, starting with KZ 900s, KZ 1000s, then added in a bunch of brits and other japanese chops. Am a Certified Motorcycle Mechanic since 1988, and now working on building a ''69 T120 rigid framed chop with a +12" Durfee square girder and 5-spoke Halllcraft wheels,and redoing my '74 Norton 850 rigid-framed chop,with a +16"P&P girder and Hallcraft Satelite wheels. Helping my buddy with his CB750 chop in a Santee swingarm frame and looong springer forks.
Been reading stuff here and looking at pics - some don't show up due to changes in the photo places, such as Photobucket...
Hope to chat and share info about choppers - that's all I really know, but really like learning more.
Hereis my Norton:

Youngblood

Re: Hello from Yukon,Canada

Post by Youngblood » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:14 pm

Welcome to Choppers Australia, isn't it amazing how the internet makes the planet so much smaller. Gee it must get pretty cold on a bike over there, lol, glad I live in Australia where I get to ride all year round. I actually have a distant family member living in Canada, don't know where or really know anything about him, I only met him once when I was about 10 years old he came back to Austria (where I was born) to bury his father, my great uncle. Anyway welcome again and I hope we can help you and you can help us and we can share some stories.
:D :D 8)
Youngblood

TriNortchopz

Post by TriNortchopz » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:58 pm

Yup,it's still cold here; if March is 'in like a lion' - the forecast for tomorrow night is for -34 Celcius...it better be 'out like a lamb'...a really warm cute and fluffy one!! I hope to help and learn...I am curious about other bikes, like to troubleshoot, so research to find answers and share them.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 am

Welcome. Your pic didn't show up. Email it to me and I will load it on your post.

Looked you up on Wikepedia... For around two thousand years, the Southern Tutchone people had seasonal hunting and fishing camps in the area of present-day Haines Junction. The original name of the area was "Dakwakada", a Southern Tutchone word meaning "high cache". It was common for Tutchone people to use raised log caches to store food year-round or temporarily while they hunted and fished in an area.

The Haines Junction area was also important for trade between the coastal and interior peoples. It lies at the interior end of the Chilkat Pass, one of only three passes that allowed travel between the coast and the interior, which was used extensively for trade between the coastal Tlingit and Southern Tutchone people.

The current town of Haines Junction was established in 1942 and 1943 during the construction of the Alaska Highway. In 1943, a second highway, the Haines Highway, was built to connect the Alaska Highway with the coastal town of Haines, Alaska, over the Chilkat Pass. Situated at the junction of these two highways, Haines Junction was a construction camp and a supply and service centre for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers building the highway. The 626-mile (1,007 km) Haines–Fairbanks petroleum pipeline was constructed in 1953–55, and a pumping station was built just north of Haines Junction.[3]

Also checked out the map and satelite views. Not many roads to ride on! Take my hat off to you guys riding choppers up there... guess there aren't many months you can ride.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz

Post by TriNortchopz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:08 pm

From Haines Junction,the road south to Haines Alaska,on the Pacific coast is 250km. A ferry can get you to Skagway,which is a 120 mile ride to Whitehorse,Yukon's capital city. The main state of Alaska is reached on the Alaska Highway about 200 miles away at Beaver Creek(Mile 1202) - the most westerly community in Canada. The Alaska Highway enters the Yukon near Watson Lake, 600 miles from there. Dawson City is about 300 miles north of Whitehorse (100 miles east of HJ),while Inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk in the NorthWest Territories, are accessible along the Dempster Highway north, from a point near Dawson City. So a few good rides.The effects of climate change have had some of the greatest significance in Yukon - riding season is now mid-April to mid-October. You can always go ice-racing during the rest of the season!

Return to “G'day folks...”