Long term Triumph Chopper project

CA members' and friends' choppers... Discuss and show off your chopper here. Send your photos and description to our email address

Moderator: Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Re: Long term Triumph Chopper project

Post by TriNortchopz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:36 pm

A 'new' front wheel - free is good! A disc with a different offset may allow an axle-mounted bracket fit in there.
What is the space between the girder legs?

That wobbly brake flange face on the hub is strange. Is the sprocket face the same? - have you measured across the hub faces to determine if there is offset on both flanges, and if so, in the same place?
Just wondering if the bearing seats in the hub were worn causing the wobble - but then i guess the whole wheel would be wobbling, not just the brake hub.

I just measured the 16" wheel on my Norton - it is only about 9" from the center to the outside of the rim, so it will fit easily into a lathe to skim the face, either in a lathe with 18" swing, or a lathe with a gap bed. I used to run lathes so big I could stand with arms stretched out holding the four jaws.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:42 pm

I've skimmed a couple of wheel flanges (with rim and tyre) on my milling machine. You are more likely to find an engineering shop with a big enough mill than a big enough lathe.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Unfortunately I won't know the space between the girder legs until it's rebuilt. But at least I've got something to throw in there now for *#@** and giggles as a starting point.

I'll take the rear wheel to an automotive wheel/rim repair business that also fixes Harley rims tomorrow and see if they can skim the hub face with the wheel as is, otherwise I know a few machinists with some pretty hefty machinery at their disposal. It's definitely the face of the hub that mates to the drum brake that is the issue Prof, everything else remains true and straight when the wheel spins. Very unusual...
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:47 pm

Prof wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:42 pm
I've skimmed a couple of wheel flanges (with rim and tyre) on my milling machine. You are more likely to find an engineering shop with a big enough mill than a big enough lathe.
Yep, just got the wheel back from Alliance Rim Repairs with the drum mounting face on the hub skimmed.

Looks pretty good and straight, but the real test will be later today when I bolt the drum backing plate and sprocket to it. Fingers crossed we're good to go now...

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Glad you found a place to do it as a whole. How much was the hub out?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz

Post by TriNortchopz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:51 am

Great that those wheel guys were able to get the machining done. It looks like they took off just enough - it appears that an outer section on the top right has not been cut.
I am still thinking about how it may have happened - perhaps squeezed or whacked with the drum bolted on. This would also mean that the flange the spoke go through would also be bent - can you see any wobble there when you spin it?

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Good news is that this repair worked, and the drum and sprocket are spinning as straight and true as the rim.

You can see it here on YouTube: https://youtu.be/rRogD9AD2y0

Time to get this thing mounted once and for all :D

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:07 am

The rear wheel dramas are now all behind us and the rear wheel is mounted in the frame. Everything is now correctly aligned and spaced, new brake shoes setup correctly, and the supplied rear axle also shortened to the correct length and now drilled to take a retaining split pin.

Next up is making the brake stay, then the chain can be setup, and focus returned to the front end. We're hoping all the parts for the front end should return from the CNC shop next week.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:36 pm

It looks like Tom is getting underway with the girder rebuild now, as I saw this picture appear on his Facebook page last week while I was away overseas on holiday.

Looking forward to getting back down to the shop and see the progress.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:56 am

The front end is looking pretty close now. I just saw this picture from Tom and you can see all the new bushings and the freshly machine stainless nuts to hold all the linkages together, all ready for assembly.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to go down and see this in person later this week.

TriNortchopz

Post by TriNortchopz » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:17 pm

That machine work looks awesome! Be great to see it installed - should make for a great upgrade. Are both sets of holes, the Zero° and 10° in the legs where the lower pair of linkages attach threaded for the cross shaft? Do you know which position you will be running it in (0 or 10°rake)?
Been looking at my P&P; I was thinking the set of holes that are not used, could be used to mount brackets to relocate the headlight mount, as an alternative to that u-shaped bracket with the tab in the centre of the lower cross shaft.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:51 am

TriNortchopz, we didn't end up threading any of those holes and rebuilt it back to the way it was from stock, although using new bronze bushes which required the holes in the links to be bored out, as the stock item is just steel meshing over steel.

The front end is pretty much back together now, and there's just a bit of work to do to make some spacers for either side of the neck of the frame.

The mockup Sporty wheel we have will now fit in the front end, but there is no room for an axle mounted calliper bracket, so down the track we might have to weld some calliper mounts to the rear of the left leg, but I'll show the roller to a Transport approved Engineer before we go any further to see what they will require for sign off. We're throwing my new tyre on the mock-up rim for now, just so we can get this thing rolling. Hopefully only a couple more weeks until it comes home.

I think we're going to leave the front end set in the 10 degree rake position and see how we go. I really like the idea of maybe using the left over 0 degree holes in the legs for a headlight mount!

TriNortchopz

Post by TriNortchopz » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:34 pm

Good to see it (kinda) on the frame. When measuring for neck spacers, aim to get the linkage mounts between upper and lower tree the same distance apart as the mounts on the girder legs; this will help promote smooth action without binding through the travel of their arc.
What is your measurement on the inside of the girder legs - just checked mine and I have a 5" space in there; running a Hallcraft wheel with Hurst-Airheart disc.
For wheel and disc fitment - I saw a thread where a front Harley hub was narrowed (on here or chopcult), which included deepening the bearing bores and cutting back the flanges...will you just be running a single disc? If so, the other flange could be machined off, disc mounting flange narrowed and the disc could also be cut thinner (is there a min. thickness stamped on it?). Hub could be offset and the rim re-spoked to center the rim and tire.
What make of caliper do you have? What is axle diameter of wheel and axle bore in girder legs? Smaller, narrower bearings could also be swapped in as part of the narrowing project.

Or, maybe it's just a matter of getting a different front wheel...sometimes free is not the cheapest option in the end.

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:39 pm

Don't worry wheel choice is not locked in and finalizing what we're doing is a long way off. We're just throwing a tyre on this one so we can get it rolling, and use it as a base line.

The front axle in this front end is only 1/2" at the moment, so I want to look at upgrading that to 3/4" to match the back.

Once I get the roller home, the biggest first hurdle will be talking to an Engineer about all the changes we've done so far, and about the possibility of chopping and stretch the frame up at least 6" to accommodate the extra length of this front end, and how we convince the WA Transport Department to approve it all as a "Modified Vehicle" so I don't have to go down the ICV path.

Finalizing the front wheel can come after that discussion :wink:

Return to “Your Chopper Pics”