CASA April Midnight Ride...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

CASA April Midnight Ride...

Post by Prof » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:23 pm

Wednesday this week looked like good weather and despite being Anzac day seemed a good opportunity to have Midnight ride before it got too cold for the blokes.

Wednesday was a busy day with Victor doing machining at the workshop and a couple of phone calls abouit future work that as usual took up a fair bit of time. Lunch ended up at 4pm, so chucked in a bit extra to cover the evening meal as well!

Perfect weather! Took off on the shovel at 6.45, picked up go-juice (25 octane seems to suit the shovel best) at Mclaren Vale and then settled back in the seat to enjoy a delightful cruise into the city, through southern suburbs to wind up at Villies at Richmond well before the meetup time. Rather than dodge the massive roadworks going on at the beginning of South Road, I had decided to check out the scene... progress has been made. Traffic was quite light, so it was really a nice ride, a lot of it done cruising with right hand at rest my foot throttle doing the hard work.

While I waited for any other takers, I enjoyed a choc milk and had a good chat with a Villies worker on her break who had admired the chopper. Peter rolled up on his gaily painted Harley a bit after 8pm. "I decided," he said,"that you are always late so I'd do the same!" By 8.20 with no one else turning up, we decided to make a move. Peter reckoned a run down to Semaphore was just the ticket. He became the designated leader and I followed close behind or where appropriate alongside. His big motor sure barks through its open pipes... a joy to any chopper jock's ear, that's for sure.

Wasn't easy to get decent shots on the run, but really like this one at an intersection. Lady in a car along side me watched with great amusement as I lean't down and manoeuvred to get it. As the lights turned green, she gave me a wave and big smile... someone who appreciates a bit of fun!

Once again very little traffic down the Port road and along the esplanade to Outer Harbour. What vehicles were in our vicinity were quickly passed by two noisy bikes and their enthusiastic riders. The night was so mild, the air was like silk. What a night to be riding. If you weren't out on your chopper this night you surely missed out...

A short break at Outer Harbour and then decision to head off to Glenelg. I had arranged to call Victor at 9.30 and as it was now a bit later than that I gave him a call. No answer so a text telling him our intentions. He had had an even busier day than me, was out to dinner in the northern suburbs but was determined to meet us in his 27 T model hotrod truck.

At a traffic light we had to stop for, Peter asked if I had seen the City of Adelaide clipper, to which I answered no. So once again with the big Harley in the lead we traversed some streets to see a part of our History up close...

Night watchman wouldn't let us on board. Boy, could he ever sit still and not bat an eye lid!!!

Another call here got Victor and we agreed to meet him at Carcycle on Tapleys Hill Rd. We beat him by 10 minutes...

Needed to sit on the road to get this pic, but had to keep waiting for cars to pass so their headlights didn't stuff up my shot...

Then back in the saddle and off to Glenelg. I pulled up in the main drag and we'd hardly gotten off out bikes when three blokes come over to check out the 27 T. they kept Victor busy answering a myriad of questions. We must have been there for at least half an hour...

The ladies (in the background in this shot) were more interested in the chopper and beautifully painted Harley and talked with Peter and I.

The father in law of one of the ladies was one of the few metal workers in the 70's and 80's who could repair dented motorcycle tanks from the inside. Small world, because I vaguely remember him in the early seventies, but be blowed if I can remember his name to pass on to you readers. Sorry...

It was getting late for getting some sleep before work in the morning, so we excused ourselves, climbed aboard out machines and made a fairly noisy exit. Up Anzac Highway two bikes and on hotrod three abreast much of the way slipping past other traffic and blasting off whenever a traffic light turned green.

As usual, we cruised slowly up Hindley Street watched no doubt with envoy by foot traffic, outdoor diners and drinkers... as usual eliciting smiles and nods from amongst the crowd. At one point a young copper walked across the street along side us and as fisticuffs broke out on the other side took off like greased lightning. Who would want to be a cop on that beat!!!??. Finally motored up the little lane to The Pancake Kitchen the high masonary walls echoing to two Harleys and one umm, toyota motor!

Got an enthusiastic welcome from our waiter who stated our visits with our choppers parked at the front door was always 'awesome'. Victor was full as a goog from two meals out so as just with us for "moral support"! Peter figured a cappucino would do just fine...

... while I ordered banana pancakes cos I really was hungry...

At 12.30 am we decided it was definitely time to hit the road and get home for a least a bit of sleep before work and took our leave...

For me, the ride home was no less enjoyable especially blasting along the Expressway, hunkered down in my low saddle, the 82 cube V twin trembling beneath me, the roar of the exhaust and the just audible click of the solid push rods and tappets. With not a car in sight I had the beautiful night to myself, dreaming of future rides and thinking of how lucky I am to be able to experience such a glorious state of mind.

How can one complain about the difficult things we face in life when we can so easily be part of something so pleasing to the senses and calming of the mind?
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: CASA April Midnight Ride...

Post by Youngblood » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:48 am

Before I left home I had decided not to freeze my bum off for a change so I put on my thermals which with the warmer than expected weather made for a cosy ride down to Villies ready for our midnight ride. I was in total shock arriving at Villies and seeing Professor there before I had arrived, normally I would wait for his entrance somewhere between half an hour to an hour. I had to have a little chuckle to myself that Professor waited for me for a change. When it became apparent that no one else was going to show up I was pretty disappointed at the low turn out but that disappointment gave way pretty quickly once we started our Harley's. There wasn't much traffic on the road and all you could hear was that sweet music coming out of our four exhaust pipes, gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. It was nice to take Professor on a little loop I do quite often when I had a hard day and I want to recharge my battery. After our little loop we went to meet Victor with his cool little hotrod, as we got there first we had a good chat while we waited for Victor to arrive. Once we where ready to go my normally reliable steed decided she did not want to idle, I have never had any problem with the bike since I bought it and now on this perfect night she decided to play up for the first time ever. As the bike ran perfectly while on the move I decided to keep going hoping that she would come good, unfortunately she decided not to be nice but I adapted pretty quickly and so the fun continued. After saying our goodbye's at the Pancake Kitchen it was time for a leisurely cruise home and wouldn't you belief it, the bike purred like a kitten, ran like a dream. What a great night, I was nice and warm, the weather was great for this time of the year, listening to that great music only a Harley or Harley's can make and having good company, thanks Professor and Victor I truly had a great night.
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: CASA April Midnight Ride...

Post by Prof » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Was a good time, most definitely.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”