2018 Kadina Overnighter & Swap Meet...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

2018 Kadina Overnighter & Swap Meet...

Post by Prof » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:04 pm

I haven't been to the Kadina Swap Meet for some years and figured this was the one to go to. Besides things have been pretty full on lately with more than one disappointment, so what better than to hit the road for a couple of days. Actually being a long weekend was tempted to take three days, but a bit too much on at home so chose to set off after lunch Saturday and on Sunday take a 'long way home'. I let Kevin our ride coordinator in SA what I planned and hoped a few other SA chopper jocks could join me. He organised a number of riders, but these whittled down just myself, Kevin and Jim with Jon joining us to Pt Wakefield.

Saturday morning is a bit of a disaster and I am only able to get away around 1.30pm and end up leaving a few things behind... but do survive anyway... I mean there are advantages to having a flat phone. Short on pamphlets for the swap meet and a few camping bits missed out were not essential anyway.

So... I take off in a fairly frustrated mindset, but am gradually calmed down by the steady thump of the big V twin, the breeze in my face and the absolutely unexplainable sensation of riding a long raked out chopper. Hands and feet are outstretched. I sit low in the saddle my back supported by the seat back topped by my sleeping gear tucked up against the tall sissy bar. Rumbling along the tarmac, sweeping past vehicles and filtering between rows of stopped cars at traffic lights. Ahh! Soon get in the groove, knowing it's me and my chop for the next day and a half... nothing else to think about just cruise...

Oh Sorry! Back to the trip!

Interesting cruising through the roadworks along 'gasoline alley' (will be a cool piece of roadway when done) and finally meet the others at the Shell corner Daws and South Roads. We head out down South Road cruising over the cool new overway Kevin and I in the lead side by side. Then we blast past everything towards Salisbury before sweeping left onto the Pt Wakefield Road. Traffic is medium and we three noisy machines and one quiet cruiser slowly pass other traffic until we hit the 110k zone. Traffic is now minimal and we just hunker down and motor along, enjoying the open spaces and freedom of the road cocooned with our own thoughts, but still aware of each other. Forty or so minutes later and we swing into the the Shell station in Pt Wakefield. Take a rest, bit of a chat and then Jon heads home while we three once again hit the road...

Miles of straight road are interrupted by a group of curves in the hummocks. The road is two laned on the up path and I blast through the corners past the others. My shovel is high geared for effortless cruising and I don't want to drop back to third. Then though Kulpara, on to Paskerville (famous for its Field Days) the virtually straight road taking us the last few miles into Kadina. Swing left at their big new roundabout and pull up at the swap meet gates. I explain to the gate man we are setting up a Choppers Australia display and are directed to the office. Get that sorted out and we pick a spot up against the boundary fence.

Next job is setting up camp. No fires are allowed, which is a pity and really spoils what otherwise would be a very convivial atmosphere. With that done I check out the few other stalls who have arrived early for bargains (none) and chat with some of the regular stall holders whom I know well.

Comes in dark at 6pm and we sit together around Kev's little stove and Jim's bigger one. Kev heats up my canned 'sausages and something'. Desert done, Jim hits the hay and Kev and I chat with the stall holder next door who welds up all manner of BBQ's, heaters, insects and animals. Turns out he spent most of his time in the SAR (South Australian Railways) and has something in common with Kev who work on the railway for BHP out of Whyalla. I learn a lot about the rail business.

Kev's not ready for bed yet, so we decide to check out the town. Only problem is, when we get to the gate we find we are locked in behind eight foot high fencing. While Kev is wondering what to do, I clamber up and over... and he after a bit of encouragement follows. Fortunately, we are in deep shadow and not seen and head off into town. For a Saturday night is is very very dead and we finish off at Mc Coffee for a couple of warming hot chocolates. I want a muffin and Kev considers it but decides he's not all that hungry, but will shar mine. I order mine hot, which he doesn't want, so I jokingly tell the girl serving us to cut mine in half... and heat it and leave Kev's cold. Guess what? She does and brings the two halves on separate plates... now that is service and I thank her accordingly.

Get back to the swap meet and same problem as before only now we are locked out. Here the fencing is temporary and while I slide under the fence, Kevin is more civilised and lifts the uprights apart and squeezes between them. Then off to bed.

Here's my little set up...

The night begins warm as there is full cloud cover, but it must have disappeared during the night because by 4am the cold begins to make itself known. I'm warm enough so that's fine. When I wake up the inside of my tent is dripping big water droplets and it is hard to get dressed with out getting wet. Seems like no one has arrived yet as I only hear an occasional voice. Surprise. Surprise. When I emerge, the place is full up with stalls being set up. Hmm. Hearing not too good; obviously!

I quickly pick up some Honda 750 parts at one stall and pay a deposit on a rack and pinion steering set up for my HG wagon... steers like a barge in rough water, so will be good to get this set up installed. Not much else except a few novelty LED's and a tank bloke wants way to much for. I offer $50 to his $100, but he won't come past $75... not really worth $50 but will see. Another fellow wants $20 for an aluminium eagle same as the brass one on my sissy bar. Mounting bolt is snapped off and I offer $10. No way. I drop back just before leaving and he tells me he's had lots of interest and it will sell. I don't have the heart to tell him that three people have commented to me about it upon seeing mine and all agreed $20 way too much. I leave it there. I also recheck with the tank man and finally get the tank for $50...

Kev and I go for a walk around the show and shine. There must be 60 cars there. This straight eight Packhard is my favourite... enough room for a picnic in the back!...

Kev is pretty rapt with this FJ and another one across the other side...

Anyone now what this modern version of a classic is? Excalibur or Phillip Berlina came to my mind, but different to both. Definitely a head turner. If I had a second life, I've always considered building something like this...

Only two bikes one of which is this trike, "ridden daily" though the angle of the headlight suggests possum shooting rather than night riding ! Nice trike all the same and good that is gets plenty of riding...

Kevin and Jim pack up early and are keen to hit the road a bit before 11am. I stay a bit longer and agree to meet them in town. I would like to stay for another hour at least as people are still coming in the gate and I have had some good talks with chopper and riding enthusiasts including some older ladies who share some of their experiences. One says she fell off her 1969 Sportster once too often and gave it up for something safer, but said she still loved bikes.

I finally reluctantly rode out of the swap meet followed by dozens of eyes... I sure some of them very longingly.

Kevin and Jim had meanwhile decided to head straight home rather than take the longer way, so we took off together, me waving goodbye as I swung north east just before Paskerville; destination Lochiel. This road is just the ticket if you are into Easy Riding; no traffic and just straight road bounded by trees flat paddocks stretching into the distance.

Some time past Ninnes (nothing there actually!) the road rises up to the top of the range. At one spot the trees thin and I do a quick U turn and pull off onto the edge of a paddock. The view is spectacular... one can see the flat plain for miles a second set of ranges in the distance. I take the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and peace of this place and of course get a few pics...

Camera sitting on the helmet on 10 sec delay, gets me in the picture as well... now my computer screen saver! Twenty minutes of great relaxing time and remount my trusty machine to twist back down through the hills to Lochiel...

I enjoy these old towns, now all a shadow of what they once were and idle through the back streets. Get a couple of enthusiastic waves from folks in their front yards. There's a 'monster garage sale' on at the town hall and I pull up to check it out. Nothing interests me, but I am amused by a group of ladies in the middle, knitting and chatting. I pat one on the arm as I walk past commenting that I didn't know anyone knew how to knit any more! She laughed and admired my tassled jacket. She said that back in England when she rode a motorcycle, she wanted one, but due to its high cost settled for the common Marlon Brando style! Checked out another garage sale next door along with a couple also on two (Road King) wheels. Back in the saddle, amble into the main street and then a left turn to Blyth. Here the country is not only flat and the road straight, but only low bushes break the flatness...

Just chug along at 80/90k listening to my pipes, the ticking of my tappets with solid lifters and enjoying being in the groove; nothing to really think about much less worry about...

A couple of ruins show up on the roadside, this one with its seemingly obligatory palm. Palm planting gained popularity in the country in the mid to late 1800's I believe because of the discoveries in Egypt after the defeat of Napoleon who had spent a lot of time excavating in Egypt. Many of our city structures of the era also show the impact of the great interest in Egyptian architecture and art. What story's would this house tell us if it could speak?

A short diversion through the little town of Blyth and then winding up and through the next range of hills that finally take me into Clare. I stop only briefly and move on again where I turn left just out of Sevenhill to Mintaro. I had actually planned to ride from Clare through to Farrel Flat, but forgot which road to take. Next time. This road is entirely different; winding and anything but flat... a neat biking road.

This place in Mintaro takes my eye expecting it to mean locally made metal objects, but no, just Chinese junk and high prices no doubt... disappointing.

Swing left past the Mud and Magpie pub which is over run with revellers and get the usual waves and cheers. Wander around a couple of streets enjoying the old stone buildings... a few stories from these old shops I bet...

Not far past Mintaro, I pass an imposing gateway advertising Martindale Hall. My wife camped there as a teaching student in the seventies and being a Clare girl often talks about this place, so I figure I'll roll in and take a couple of pics for her to enjoy. Seems it was built by a pastoralist. He wanted a girl from back in 'the old country' to come out and marry him. She agreed to come if he'd build a replica of the mansion she lived in in England. He did, bringing out 30 odd masons etc from England to do the job. The thirty two rooms never heard the pitter patter of tiny feet, because after all that, she refused to come anyway!

Back on the road again. Getting cool, so I stuff a folded garbag up under my jacket that breaks the cold nicely and again enjoy the sounds and feel of my chopper and the sights around me as I wind through the hilly country finally rolling into Manoora on the Barrier Highway. Then cruise on to Saddle worth and then to Riverton, easing off the road a couple of times to let semis pass. I'm just enjoying ambling along below the speed limit...

By Riverton I'm and bit peckish and feeling the cold. After again wandering around half a dozen streets I swing back into the main street and pull up at the deli. Young girl knocks me up a very nice ham cheese and tomato sandwich. Chat a bit. She works on weekends and is at uni studying to be a year seven to ten teacher. Having taught early on and left because I did not like want I was being told to teach and how to teach, I would not like her job in this day and age...

Almost out of Riverton I notice a garage sale sign and decide to see what they have. That set of flood lights would be nice, but the swap meet all but cleaned me out. However a car cover catches my eye. I've been wanting to make a fly for my tent to stop the moisture problem but have not been able to find thin tent material anywhere... and here it was; a 10 year old car cover made of the right stuff. Ten dollars and I roll it up and tie it across the pull backs for a bit more wind protection ('poor man's fairing") and mosey on again.

I pick up my speed now and set at the speed limit. Rumbling through Tarlee I see a bloke waiting to ride out of his drive on an HD VeeRod. He is in my mirror close behind for quite a spell, but finally passes with a wave and hooks it on, passing a number of cars that are ahead. I follow him into the servo at Roseworthy and am surprised when he pulls off his helmet. I'd expected a young guy, but he looks older than me. He comments on my shovel. He has one, but says he is saving up for some new heads. He's gone before I get out from paying for my fuel.

I cruise on bypassing Gawler sharing the Northern Expressway with an increasing number of cars all sticking to 110kph because of the stupid cameras at each end. They cheese me off. So what if one ends up 5k over the limit... doesn't deserve a 400 dollar fine. Later coming into Reynella, I see a camera car in a place that is clearly chosen to catch unsuspecting drivers and would have never seen an accident. Why do we all act like sheep and accept this blatant ripoff?

Anyway I am still enjoying my ride, even though I am now in the city and my 'time out' is drawing to a close. By the Anzac Highway intersection on South Road I am beginning to feel quite in need of a stop and finally pull into an 'On the Run'. Can't very well sit in there without buying something, so buy a custard tart which I eat very slowly. Girl serving is very friendly and we talk briefly about bike riding.

Once more, wander outside somewhat refreshed get my gear on including my plastic chest shield! Hit the starter and the bike starts instantly settling into a subdued idle. Mount up and rumble off. Tapleys is a bad hill for me; I just can't keep to the speed limit and so thunder up through the curves almost scraping on the left side as I fly past the other vehicles. Ease up for the cameras at the top and then behave myself.

Up ahead is a bright yellow Yank monster.. a 59 Caddy as it turns out and I pull out my camera for a couple of shots as I pass. I hear the yells and screams of the passengers which makes all for a bit of fun...

Keep to the speed limit for the remainder of the ride, no interest in lingering now in this familiar territory. Roll into my workshop not long before dark. It'd been a great time off. My shovel has run like a Swiss watch. Weather has been good. Experiences great. And the time refreshing. Soon as some things are sorted out at home and I have caught up on work, I'll be taking off for a couple of weeks. Can't hardly wait...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”