June Midnight Ride 2018...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

June Midnight Ride 2018...

Post by Prof » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:48 pm

With good looking weather for the week, and a friend Rob, coming down from the country to help me do some renovations, what better excuse for a Midnight Ride. Rob has an iron head with very long springer forks in my workshop and doesn't get to ride with anyone at home, so I figured he'd enjoy the unique Midnight Ride experience. A couple of others were keen to defy the cold and join in, so 8pm Wednesday night at Villies on Wednesday night was locked in.

I told Rob to bring down his riding gear and dress warm. He had the smart idea to include his grandfather's riding handlbar mitts... bet none of you young blokes have seen these! Stick your hands in them and operate the controls in warm comfort...

Chris and his girlfriend were keen to come as passengers, but with Rob riding an unfamiliar chopper in an unfamiliar area at night meant only my seat was available and Chris with his arm recently out of plaster from coming off his bike dodging a car got to come. Here Chris and Rob kitted up ready for a groovy night...

The CB I loaned Rob to ride has only been on the road a couple of day. So not being sure of how far a tank full would take him, Rob opted to top up at McLaren Vale. Good thing he did!...

Rob sat behind Chris and I all the way to the city as he got used to his new wheels. I also found out later that he'd not ridden with others since the 70's so his choice was understandable. Rob and CB...

We rolled into Villies' carpark the same time as Rayne on his S&S pan. Victor rolled in on his newly built shovel a few minutes later. Soon after Nick and a mate arrived on 4 wheels. Nick had decided to change his plugs and ended up with a badly leaking fuel tap late in the day, so had to miss out...

Lots of discussions of a chopperish nature; particularly about Victor's new steed...

Nick trying it for size. I tried it but can't reach the footpegs!..

Of particular interest, this small aircleaner, cover removed for a photo...

The night's lineup...

Ah! Old Faithfull...

Rayne and Victor came up with a route for the night and much to Rob's delight, we blasted off down South Road and then Anzac Highway to Glenelg. Lots of drags at the lights and general shenanigans. We were all having a ball, no doubt about that. Then a cop car up ahead, so we calmed down a bit and held back taking a left to get well away... not that we have any warrants against up or unpaid traffic fines, it's just when you are on a classic chopper that you are a little paranoid.

Then a cruise up and down the main Glenelg drag. Took some video. This is a screen shot. Looks great I reckon...

Then off down Military Road to Semaphore. Rayne...

And again...

Four choppers rumbling and roaring up Semaphore's main drag made us all feel pretty good, finally pulling up so Victor could top up at a servo on Victoria Road....

Rayne and black beauty...

Rob and CB and really stoked...

Your's truly, having a ball as usual...

Victor's shovel is a one start kicker every time; getting the boot...

We were all in fine form and at Rayn'es suggestion, cruise off bypassing Torren's Island power house, past the ship cemetary to the Garden Island boat ramp...

It's pretty chilly out here, but we are all well rugged up. I'm the only one with an open face helmet, but I have the luxury of a small screen that very efficiently breaks the blast. My legs are toasty warm with two sets of long johns under my jeans and three upper layers plus leather vest and jacket. Fingers and toes (despite my flying boots) get a bit chilly but otherwise I am fine. The rest reckon they are staying warm as well...

Time to wrap the night up, so we cruise up the Port Freeway and across the Flyover. Just after Regency Rd, I blast off into the lead and cut left through a couple of streets and onto Torrens Rd. Light receded suddenly on the side streets as one of the riders missed a turn, but we are all soon together again, Victor now roaring ahead to lead us onto War Memorial Drive.

Rayne is not going to Pancake Kitchen tonight and high fives each of us as he rumbles past, while we swing left up a very busy Hindley Street. Get some interested looks as pass all manner of interesting bods including a pair of big blokes no doubt bouncers from one of the nightclubs. Finally three choppers open pipes shaking the walls abounding the narrow lane that takes us to the Pancake Kitchen...

And, man, did I ever enjoy my hot Vienna chocolate and Jamaican banana pancakes! Victor filled up with a triple order and Chris and Rob had their fill as well. We all enthusiastically agreed that it had been a brilliant evening... well, with four choppers ridden by enthusiastic and energetic chopper jocks... what else could it have been?

We reluctantly decided it was time to split and headed outside to our patiently waiting steeds...

Goodbyes said and we geared up to beat the chilly ride home.

Victor once again starting his chopper with one hefty swing...

Rob and I parted ways with Victor shortly after and cruised side by side much of the way as he was now getting used to the whole idea and familiar with his machine.

All was plain sailing until coming out of McLaren Vale, the CB started missing and losing power. Forgot to check fuel didn't we! A torch shone in the tank showed that one of the taps has an extension so there was still a couple of inches of fuel in one side, but we'd been running both taps open so the reserve set up was bypassed. Not to worry there was fuel there so just a case of lying the bike right over and letting the fuel run into the other side of the tank. That got him partway up our drive, so Chris jumped off my shovel and pushed him the rest of the way. Quite funny actually, because Rob was surprised as how light the chopper was to push. He hadn't seen Chris behind him in the dark and says he just about jumped out of his boots when Chris spoke to him!

So folks... a really good night... bit cold, but we were well rugged up. Choppers ran like horses let out of the corrals, lots of swapping leads, blasting past cars, cruising side by side watching gleaming chrome and paint under the street lights listening to the sweet music of our motors and our booming exhausts. Might have been more comfortable sitting in front of the TV, but what a waste... Have chopper will travel!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Re: June Midnight Ride 2018...

Post by Youngblood » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Looks like the Eskimo's went out to play :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately I missed out on the fun and games as I was teaching airbrushing up in the hills, so I do know how cold it was out there. I also missed out on seeing some cool choppers I haven't seen yet. I hope I get to see them another time when it is a bit warmer, fingers crossed.
Now I'm just waiting for the story to go with the pictures, Professor.....................................
8) 8) 8)
Youngblood

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Up now Pete. Next time. Ken wanted to come, but ended up trucking interstate. Haven't seen his chopper yet, so a treat in store for both of us.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:42 am

Great pics and some awesome looking bikes.

Seeing that air cleaner removed pic certainly brought back the memories as it looks like the ones made by Bench Mark in the US. I've run their air cleaners on both my previous Triumph and Harley choppers and they are incredibly well made precision gear!
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”