A week in Qld... and a few choppers...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

A week in Qld... and a few choppers...

Post by Prof » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:37 pm

Ended up with two funerals to attend in Qld. One on the Gold Coast and one at Toowoomba. Hmm is Toowoomba an English name? When one considers the incredible number of Aboriginal names given by our early explorers to towns, rivers and places, one wonders how 'racist' they really were!

Anyway, at short notice the three of us had to get up to Queensland. Sadly for me it means my planned ride up the East Coast to Queensland later in the year will now not eventuate, but I'll get up their on two wheels sometime. The week was spent at a number of locations with little rest in between so I did not even end up getting out my list of members. I did have a day and a half to do some work for Michael; on his chopper at his request.

I chopped this 82 sporty for my son back in 2006-7 I think and then three of us: son Paul, mate Kevin and myself rode our choppers up to the Gold Coast to deliver it...

Michael has ridden the sporty daily to work, rain or shine for the last 12 or so years. Unfortunately, most of that time is has been in an open undercover area facing the ocean which was only a few hundred yards away and the chrome has suffered accordingly. I've not seen the chopper since we took it up so was keen to see how my fabrication had weathered the years (including a few spills). With the exception of a chain guard mount (stock sporty) nothing has failed. Footpegs and levers have been broken or bent in spills, and there are plenty of scratches in the paint and a few dents in the pipes...

But the moulding has held up really well...

Was fun to look at some of my unique bracketry as well...

I usually redo my wiring after 5 or so years due to vibration and corrosion, so Michael's sporty's wiring is really overdue. Horns (air and normal), indicators, alarm and headlight have gradually succumbed and he was pleased that I had finally come up to get things working again. Job was done by Paul and myself. Headlight was an interesting one. When I undid Michael's hot wiring job, high & low beam wires at globe,main lighting connector in the headlight shell and wires at dipper switch all showed full voltage on the multi meter, but light would not light up. Once the individual wires in the connector were scraped and re-attached, Hey presto! we had light. A lesson to keep in mind. All electricals now work, thanks in particular to Paul's persistance...

First pic of the chopper is at his workplace (Bentley's Camera House) and with me driving Michael's 4 x 4 and Paul shooting, we got some pics and video (see Andrew Offe Facebook) on the way home...

Michael's neighbour had a mate drop by on this bobbed 650. He was apologetic that it wasn't a Harley. I tried to persuade him that no brand is better than another when it comes to a chopper! Give me the choice between a Harley and a Honda, Yamaha or BSA chopper (etc etc) and I will chose the chopper every time. Don't think I convinced him though...

I discovered there are more bike shops in Nerang than the whole of Adelaide. Sobering. the following three chops/bobs are in a custom shop. Had a brief chat with these blokes as well as the owner of a second accessories shop. Had to get some things for the Sporty from the local HD place and they were nice blokes too, though this ol' dyed in the wool chopper jock saw nothing of interest among the hundred plus HD's there. Must admit that the 500 is not too bad, though why HD had to add water cooling to a learner's bike is beyond me...

Got Michael's sporty tidied up as much as we could in the time available and then had to jump on Jetstar again to fly home in time for the Coast to Coast Motorcycle Showcase on Saturday. Good though messy time away and got to ride the Sporty a bit as well.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

steve

Re: A week in Qld... and a few choppers...

Post by steve » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm

Prof

I have no evidence to back my statement up but it is my understanding that Toowoomba is an English name but was not intended to be racist. The story that I heard was that the original location of central Toowoomba was and can be without proper drainage a swampy area. It was often referred to as "the swamp" by the very first settlers. There was some communication with the local aboriginals and they were attempting to use the white man name for the area. As their dialect is very different The Swamp sounded more like ta swampa. The locals decided to name the place using the name they thought the Aboriginals used and in converting it to English spelling it came out Too woomba or when pushed together Toowoomba. The new inhabitants officially named the area Toowoomba thinking they had done their best to give it the original Aboriginal name.

The oo sound appears to have been part of the local tribes vocabulary. The property that I grew up on was named Goomerah. This was named after consultation with the local aboriginals on what the area was called.I have been told of two different meanings for the word Goomerah and both are logical. The first is the junction of two creeks which occurs at the center of the property. The second meaning is the meeting place. What I am not sure about is the meeting place the meeting of two creeks or a place where the locals met as there is a tribal boundary nearby. It would follow logic that a junction of two creeks would be an easy place to find and therefore make it a meeting place. What is also interesting is both possible meanings start with "the" and Goomerah has the same oo at the start as Toowoomba.

As I said at the start I can't back all of this up up by fact.

Steve

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks Steve. Really appreciate the info. The fellow (Kinglsley Palmer Rogers) whose funeral we attended, established a property with his brother Mel at Captain's Mountain near Millmerran shortly after the war in which they'd both been involved. Were pretty much pioneers and the information/history given at the funeral was very interesting.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

steve

Post by steve » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:37 pm

That is quite ok. If you go 40 Km east from Captains Mountain you will come to a small town called Leyburn. My relatives named that town in the 1840's. It has been quite a few years since I have been to Millmerran.

Prof

Post by Prof » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Wow! You're a real local. Life was hard in those times but it bread resilient and patient people.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”