Coast to Coast Motorcycle Showcase & Gawler Swap Meet 2018

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Coast to Coast Motorcycle Showcase & Gawler Swap Meet 2018

Post by Prof » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Last weekend was a busy one with a bike show in the city followed by a Swap Meet at Gawler the next morning.

I spent the two days prior organising literature for the show and cleaning and polishing "Ol' faithful". I had arranged to ride in to the Coast to Coast Motorcycle Showcase with Jason. Victor and Rayne took their choppers in midday, but because I was planning to stay with the display Jason and I organised to get there around three; an hour before the show started. I only found out abut the show through Victor so much appreciated his letting me know so CA and classic choppers could be promoted.Hopefully with more time (They only secured the venue 3.5 weeks before) we can have 10 or 20 choppers next year.

Showcase is on Saturday arvo and the Swap Meet on Sunday (6.30am), so camping gear as well as display gear needs to be packed. Nothing like a full length back rest made up of sleeping gear and bag of waterproofs...

Running a bit late, so don't dawdle. Call by Jason's and then off we blast. His S&S Evo has large diameter pipes and sounds magnificent as he takes off ahead of me. Great riding weather though showers are forecast and I get some good riding pics and video (see facebook)...

These two shots taken off the video and not so clear. Well we are doing 70mph by gad and it ain't half windy!

Thread our way through city streets passing plenty of cages and finally thundering into the large undercover show area. First four choppers are CA bikes and the rest of the row made up of a couple of bobbers and another long bike chopper...

A bout a quarter of one of two other rows. Wheel in foreground is a pristine Vincent Rapide...

Nice XS1 and Norton Commando...

Two of the bobbers in our row

CB750...

CA choppers...

Long forks and bars are KOOL!

Our choppers get lots of interest and our row is probably the most visited. A number are keen to find out for themselves how comfy choppers can be...

Pretty seat... pretty hard according to owner....

Nice mirror stalk treatment...

The event is very much a social one and with a well stocked bar there is much conversation and laughter throughout the evening and still going strong at 9.30pm when I leave. A very appropriate seat...

This truck carries all the prizes, the winners being called out through out the night...

Jason takes off around 8.30pm and with few new patrons, I decide to pack up. Both Jason's and my choppers get photo attention when we fire up and move out! As I move out of the lane onto Waymouth St, I am not paying attention and nearly get skittled by an oncoming car, but he manages to pull up in time and I thankfully dodge around him. Thanks for being alert whoever you are.

The night is cool and pleasant. My water proofs are close at hand and I pick up some fuel and a cherry ripe to eat as I ride. Nice back rest obvious in this shot...

Road is wet soon after I leave the servo and not far past Gepps Cross the windscreen starts showing spots of rain. Approaching cars all have their wipers working so time to stop and kit up. A small tipper pulls up and the driver comes back to see if I am ok. He rides a V Rod and has just come back from an interstate ride. We have a 'biker exchange' for 10 minutes and he definitely likes sitting down in my chopper...

Light rain now until the Gawler Northern Freeway turn off. Spray coming off the front tire always looks speccy at night, but hard to photograph with my little camer. Here is my best shot. Not easy to get a wet hand back in my glove!...

I had planned to ride to the swap meet with Rob and pitch our tents overnight, but he ends up baby sitting so convinces me to stay under cover at his place at Lyndoch instead.

It is dry the rest of the way to Gawler and I just exalt in the unique experience of the big V Twin rumbling below me, just audible ticking of the solic lifters, wind in my face and the road lines sliding past me as the shovel eats up the miles. Glorious. Glorious. So lucky t be alive.

As I exit Gawler, the rain comes down and I have to tuck in behind my small screen and take it easily on the very wet and unfamiliar roads. Some of the corners are tight and hard to negotiate against the glare of oncoming car lights on high beam.

Spend a couple of enjoyable hours chatting with Rob and finally hit the hay well after midnight. He promises to wake me at 5.30 and for some crazy reason I wake up half a dozen times in the next five hours dreaming he has woken me. The first time I start to get up and realise what is going on. the remaining times I just go back to sleep!

It is freezing cold at 5.30am and the starter won't spin over the shovel motor, so I kick start it. Not a real problem. If it doesn't fire first kick, its just a case of full throttle and by the eighth kick she'll start up every time. Warms me up a bit anyway. Bike is running like a sick duck which I put down to an icing carby as it is less than 3 degrees. Roads are still wet and it IS bitterly cold the next ten minutes and by the time I arrive at the Gawler grounds my finger tips despite thick leather gloves and numb.

Blokes at the gate are a bit confused and wave me through without payment (I catch them up later). Set up on the edge of the oval close to where I normally do and then with pamphlets set up for anyone interested, grab my bags and go hunting.

Dovecotes. Pretty neat hey...

A number of classic cars including some rust buckets at exhorbitant prices. This nice combo a left hand drive Buick....

JAP speedway racer with a vintage HD forged springer and a friction damper. Love that style of springer, but not possible to extend them safely...

Take your pick...!

This one advertised for sale an 80's KZ 750 twin... ideal smaller bike for a chopper, which I'd chose every time over the more popular XS650. Call Mark on 0413 006 145 if you are interested...

Our CA display with mine and Terry's choppers and a $20 engineless job bought by Robs lad Dylan. Wayne also rolls in during the morning and adds to our display briefly. Plenty of interest in the choppers. I get a lot of blokes coming up at swap meets saying the recognise 'ol faithful'...

My collection from the day. Rectangular headlights are due to Terry who found them for me. Thanks mate.

I pack up and move out. Rob throughs most of the gear into his HG wagon and heads off with his boys with me moving out soon after... in fact a bit later than I expect as the shovel only fires up on one cylinder. Chuck in a spare plug with the help of Terry and his tools and she fires up on both.

As I roll into Lyndock, I see Rob's vehicle parked in the main street. Pull up to his door... and here I will tell you an interesting story...

When I was sixteen I had a BMW R60 as my solo bike and wanted a sidecar. I tried my BM and a couple of Dad's bikes including his 1000cc Ariel Square four. But for various reasons none seemed to do the trick. Dad remembered when he was a lad in Tanunda that a fellow from Lyndoch used to ride a brand new Harley. When they heard the distinctive sound, the boys would race to the main street to see this strange machine. He knew where the gentleman lived and suggested we visit. This we did and asked to see the bike. He let us into his shed. We had to pull away boxes and timber, boxes and other detritus. The machine was finally revealed and I managed to get the photo below on my instamatic. He hadn't ridden it for years and dad did his best to convince the fellow to sell but to no avail.. I distinctly remember to this day his strange answer.l It stays here until I die. i don't care what happens after that! I have often told this story and did to Rob some years back.

He called me up recently to tell me he'd delivered some products from work to this same address and asked about the bike. It turns out the family still occupy the house, and yes the bike is still in the family. And the grandson apparently still has the same attitude! We did some calculations and realised this was a later Harley the fellow owned and was actually a 1943 Police special Knuckle and is quite rare. The Harley dad had remembered was an earlier Harley around 1925-30 vintage.

So why am I telling you this now. Well when I pulled up to speak to Rob, he pointed out a bloke across the street. He's the bloke who now lives in the house whose brother in law owns the knuckle. Obviously I wanted to speak to him and tell him the above story. Which we did and then it was back to Rob's.

We have some lunch to the sound of a small motor going around and around the paddock neck to Rob's. Dylon and his mate have hooked up their $20 chopper and are careering around the rough tracks. We watch for a while and chuckle as the rider frequently fall off. Much better than sitting inside playing computer games, facebooking etc! What boys should be doing...

Time to go. I pack my gear, leaving Rob to bring the seat, wheels and rope next weekend when he comes to The Chopper Shed to get on with his project shovel chopper...

Once again absolutely beautiful cruising. I just rumble along at a relaxed 80-90k. Motor sounds great at this speed and easy to enljoy my surroundings. I ride through Williamstown, Gumeracha to Lobethal, enjoying the towering pine forests followed by open fields, the road overhung by big gums. Finally stop for fuel and a bit to eat and drink at Woodside. My chopper looks great as I walk back across the street from the super market...

Sit down on the footpath to eat and relax. A number of modern sports bikes cruise howl by. This Triumph pulls up and the rider comes across. Turns out he is one of Rayne's friends and wants to make sure I am not in trouble. Chat for a few minutes and he goes about his errand (Fruit salad for the kids!). That's two caring bikers who have offered to help. And just as it should be...

Back on the chopper and take a different route as I hit the outskirts of Oakbank, an interesting bitumen road that eventually delivers me to Hahndorf and on through to Echunga. More brilliant cruising...

Well. What can be better than a couple of days away on a raked out classic chopper gear packed behind and just taking life as it comes. Looking forwards to our trip to Bendigo Shovel Fest next month. Meantime, head down in the workshop to keep customers happy and the bills paid...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

TriNortchopz
Interests: Choppers, nature, learning more about choppers

Re: Coast to Coast Motorcycle Showcase & Gawler Swap Meet 2018

Post by TriNortchopz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:09 am

It looks like it was a great show - I even recognized a couple of shovels! And a swap meet on the way home too - did you grab anything new? Love your riding shots!

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: Coast to Coast Motorcycle Showcase & Gawler Swap Meet 2018

Post by Prof » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:57 am

Just the bits in the photo. Like to show riding shots as they give a bit more of a feel of the glory of riding a chopper...
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”