2018 Lockleys motorcycle Expo

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

2018 Lockleys motorcycle Expo

Post by Prof » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:40 pm

The third Lockleys Motorcycle Expo and swap meet was by far the biggest so far. There were a large number of stalls both displays by clubs (Z Owners, Levis, Adventist Riders, Choppers Australia of course and some others I can't recall), organisations including the MRA, SA police historical, and businesses including T shirt printing and metal etching, Harley Heaven, MotoRidersChoice and others. Pink Ribbon Ride also left from the venue and was good to see quite a few women riding in it including one girl on the new Triumph bobber.

The crowd was ok and we got a lot of interest in our cool machines, but would have been better if rain hadn't been forecast.

I was up at 5.30 waiting for Tony who had offered to ride my Diamond tanked CB750. He ended up late because he had to try and find his water proof jacket when he woke up to rain. We took off in the dark and rode through intermittent light showers falling from the continually dripping skies...

We met up with Jason on his S&S Evo chopper and with the drips less frequent I managed to get some good photos and video (see Choppers Australia.com facebook). We'd caught up with Jason at a local servo and Tony commented that his back end seemed a bit squirrely. As I run only 20 psi on the 16 x 5 and he is a really big bloke I assumed it just needed a bit more pressure and put in some air, then off we went...

We rolled into the oval a bit after 7am and Ken was already set up as were the majority of the other stalls. His shovel chopper is a real stand out in red, silver, white walls and lots of chrome. We three parked at his direction and shortly after Victor and Rayne rumbled in on their choppers. Both run suicide clutches, but handle them with aplomb. Protruding out past a nearby stall was a long 70's springer and Victor, Rayne and I hastened to check it out. Asking price was $1250, too much in my opinion for something that needs rechroming, a highly expensive process these days...

As I said before we had a lot of interest and I think our display was as eye catching as any other display on the day. Our guys were kept pretty busy answering questions...

Ken...

Victor...

Some interested folks got to try my shovel for size. This couple both ride Adventure bikes...

Not long after we arrived someone pointed out that the Honda back axle nut was missing. Aha! Know why it was squirrely. A first for me and don't know how the nut came loose. I hurried off to try every swap stall for a suitable nut. Found a 16mm with right pitch, but needed and 18mm. We discussed one of us doing donuts in front of the police display while another nicked a nut off their police Honda, but alas no fun and games were to be had!!! I arranged to get one off mate Barry Hunt of CB750 Hospital at the end of the day. As it turned out. Rayne left early and rode his chopper up to The Chopper Shed where we will be installing a Meatballs 4" over springer. He offered to bring a nut back for me. Paul hunted up a couple. Thanks to both of you for your care.

Both Victor and Rayne's Harley choppers are kicker only and a crowd gathered when each of them started up. First kick each time of course! Victor who was suffering from a flu, but came anyway, took off early and around 11.30 with heavy rain threatening, all the stalls hurredly packed up. Rayne brought the nut just in time and Jason, Tony and I chugged out of the oval and headed for home. Very enjoyable despite the heavy traffic, three choppers in close formation sweeping across lanes to take advantage of gaps between the cars. Part way along Brighton Rd I noticed a squeal coming from Jason's chopper. At the lights he explained the clutch was misbehaving (he's been having trouble for some time) and as the ride home progressed a distinct smell of burning clutch was noticeable, but he made it...

We kept just ahead of the rain and stopped briefly at Jason's pad to say, "See ya". I took a wrong turn and Tony and I did some back street chasing before we actually got there... Ah. A few U turns and missed turns all a part of the fun...

Knowing that the diamond tank on the CB would probably hold only enough to just make it home, I planned to pick up the liquid gold at Old Noarlunga. But, a few miles beforehand, Tony disappeared from my mirror view. "Oh Oh!" The tank holds less than I thought. Simple job of filling up my army dixie cup a few times and...

... pouring into the CB tank. Filler is quite small, so with no plastic bottles lying around, one of my laminated signs became a funnel...

Rest of the ride was uneventful except that the rain had caught up to us and we got a little damp. Just spitting the last few miles after out fuel stop and just enjoyable riding together back to Willunga, where of course the rain come down a bit more seriously as we dismounted.

A great day. All the CA boys enjoyed themselves and they definitely aim to be back again next year. It you didn't come, you missed out on a good show and if you didn't ride, well you really missed out. Viva la chopper!!!
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Victor
Interests: Building choppers and riding off into the sunset

Re: 2018 Lockleys motorcycle Expo

Post by Victor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:56 pm

Great write up as usual Prof. It was a good day out, apart from coming my closest ever to a statistic by someone texting and driving on my way home up Henley beach road...

Here’s some pictures I took from the day.

Nice line up of choppers on display. Looking at these pics, I realise my sissy bar is maybe a bit ridiculous - I think I’ll chop it down a foot or so next time I’m in the workshop.

There was this old springer for sale, I’m not surprised it didn’t sell at that price. 70s springer with some 70s workmanship too...

Loved this little Honda 50, for unexplainable reasons I love tiny little bikes as well, even though I am too tall to ride most of them. It was for sale and the owner was cruising around on it picking up viddles from the breakfast bbq!

Nice BSA race bike that had been raced at Bathurst quite a bit in its day.

Totally bizarre OEC that I’ve never heard of. Front and rear suspension in 1929 and a very unique 4 link steering system. It was designed for a speed trial but owner said it makes handling very interesting. Whole bike moved left to right when the bars where turned, sort of like to bump steer in a car if you can imagine that. Another interesting design feature was the identical wheels that can be switched around - front even had a sprocket on it.

Didn’t get a photo of this whole trike, but it did have an interesting springer front end. It had a classic look to it but used modern shock absorbers and a nice method of mounting guard to the rockers. Also of different was the top tree welded to the fork legs, with the bottom tree removable.

Cool shovel bobber that I’ve seen around before. It’s built very well and looks nice, but doesn’t look like it gets ridden much.

Pair of interesting Harley’s for sale.

Right bike was an odd mix of 45” WLA motor adapted to fit into a custom big twin frame and gearbox. Shovel was a different style again, built sort of in a sport bike style, a bit difficult to explain. Left side pipe alone was interesting.

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Post by Prof » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Good to see photos around the Expo. I forgot to take any this time. I reckon your sissy bar is fine. "Officer. I am a tall guy and need a tall sissy bar for my swag sir!"
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:40 pm

I have to agree, the sissy bar is fine the way it is. Was good to see you guys down there, sorry for not hanging around for a longer chat. I had a good laugh at the old police bikes especially the one with the side car....... a memories........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Youngblood

El Skitzo

Post by El Skitzo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Great pics, thanks for sharing
65 Triumph Chopper (project)

Tri4

Post by Tri4 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:14 am

Nah, no tall sissy bars in that lot, anyway as you know too much is never enough, the trike has some interesting lights on it though. I will see if I can find some photo's of my ill fated foray into lights I fitted on the Triumph.
Good write up and photo's.

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”