2019 BilletProof visited by a couple of cool choppers

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

2019 BilletProof visited by a couple of cool choppers

Post by Prof » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:01 pm

Springer finally on my chopper, tested... real good, sunny warm day, Muster leaflets to hand out, been working hard and could do with a relaxing cruise, BilletProof show to check out... Wow! What more good reasons could one ask for?

Call Jason Friday night. Yeah! He'll be in on it. He's just got his chopper back together after a lot of problems with the primary belt drive. This would be his first ride. OK Jason. See you at around 9.00

Wake up early and get things sorted. Yesterday coming up our street she missfired a couple of times. A wriggle of the ignition fuse solved it, so I use a pliers to tighten the fuse holder tongue. Should do the trick. A few extra jobs and fire up 'Ol' Faithfull'. Roar down the drive and out onto the street; running like a charm. Three hundred yards and she starts misfiring. Bugga! No ignition. Wriggle the fuse holder and she fires up and off we go. 600 yards later and same problem again. Swing the ignition wire across to the light fuse... and she fires right up.

Dies 100 yards later. Look at trip meter. Oh. Dopy me. Time to go on reserve. So it was fuel not electrical... didn't sound like it, but ok. Pull into McLaren Vale servo and fill up. Now to enjoy the ride. Roar up the hill out of McLaren Vale, passing a bunch of cars as I am now running late. Blat Blat. Blat. Nothing. Damn! Pull off on a side road and pull off my seat again. This time the main fuse has blown. Grab one out of the ignition fuse holder and swing ignition wire directly across to the ignition switch. Nothing is making much sense except that I rode in heavy rain the other day and there could be some corrosion. Will do a quick check of connections at Jason's.

Jason is waiting, but looking rather forlorn. His battery won't turn over his 1600 S&S motor. Grab your jumper leads Jason. Don't have any mate. CAn't use my jump starter, because that needs recharging. I grab the jumpers I carry in my kit. Hook up to his car and away she goes.

Great. Back on the road. His chopper is running fine and mine seems to be at last. Head out of his street and once again the motor misses, but doesn't die, so i keep rolling on. The occasional miss as I accelerate otherwise ok. Pick up Muster leaflets from AllBiz and off we go. Engine starts missing again coming into Hallet Cove, but is manageable if not too enjoyable... waiting for it to die completely when in traffic and accelerating away from traffic lights is not my favourite activity. I spend most of the time trying to nut out what the problem could be.

Gets quite bad along Brighton Road. Pull into Fearless Motorcycles and give them some leaflets. Ignition switch has a slightly loose tab. Pull out my electrical bits from under the seat. What! The packet with spare ignition switch and fuses is not there. Walk up to Repco for a replacement toggle for the ignition. I almost choke when he quotes me the price. I sell the same brand (Narva) for less than half of what he charges!

Install new switch. Fire her up and give her some revs. Fine. Jason and I blast around to Show and Go in the next street... and the chopper backfires and spits and bangs again!

Show and Go guy is really keen on the leaflets and I decide to do some more specific trouble shooting. Separate and reconnect all ignition wires. Benefit of keeping your chopper wiring simple. Start it up and pull of the rear plug. Aha! Mainly only firing on the front cylinder. Plugs are only two weeks old, but I have personally had and know of other cases of dud new plugs. Buy a plug off show and go. I have left my tool bag behind because the shovel never gives me any trouble. Ha Ha. Today has to be the day. Borrow a plug spanner and changer the plug. Fire her up. Good...

"Jason." says I, "Wait til I've gone for a spin up the road." Wise words. Problem still there. Is it a coil? Points perhaps. Hang on. They are new and I should have checked them once they've had a chance to bed in. Borrow a set of allan keys. Out with the plugs, swing her over with the kick start. Points are barely opening. No he doesn't have a feeler guage set. Oh Well. 12-16 thou by eye is not too difficult. Adjust them.

Fire the old girl up and go for a short spin. Problem solved. Jason now joins me as we head off to a fuel stop and then into the city. Shovel periodically misses though only on acceleration this time. Motorcycle Society is our next port of call. Girl running the shop is super excited about the two choppers. Is getting her licence and want to build a classic chopper. Doesn't to be asked twice to try it for size...

Then around to West Coast Traders who also take some leaflets...

Cruise back up lower Rundle street. Two noisy choppers should provide some interest! Finally roll into the Torrens Parade grounds and Billet proof. Hesitate at the gate. No Guards, so lets just cruise in. Park and no one gets annoyed. I am starved by this time and Jason patiently waits while I devour some canned goodies from my stash. Spread leaflets on the ground by the shovel and get some interest and some great compliments.

Jason and I now go for a walk around the display of perhaps 70 vehicles and some chopper bicycles...

This replica of a 1906 Humber trike took 1000 hours to build...

Chopper bicycles including a lad who brings his crazy bikes up to our CA Muster. His is the two story job in the background...

Zeta by lightburn had a two stroke motor. If they'd only been able to source a decent sized four stroke it would have had a chance. The story of Lightburn Industries in SA is an interesting one, showing what can be done when government isn't out to sink every Australian endeavour, though the government of the day could certainly have helped. Same with Holdens. Smithy the Australian flyer built a car called 'The Southern Cross' but the government kowtowed to GM and we got cars half as good as what he built...

Jason was a fount of knowledge on everything classic car and paint. Showed me a Buik with a 'nail head' motor. Didn't know why it was called that, so had to look it up on Mr Google.. When Buick replaced its overhead-valve inline-eight in 1953, the Nailhead became the company's first pushrod V8. The engine took its name from the small valve covers mounted on top of the heads. Under the valve covers, the vertically mounted valves created an almost-hemispherical combustion chamber.

Jason fell in love with this chopped Mercury...

A couple more of the many cool vehicles...

We stayed for about an hour. I gave the man on the microphone info about our Muster and he said he'd advertise it, but we didn't hear anything. Jason also came across a classic car he'd painted 20 years ago... black with blue pearl. Was quite chuffed to see it again...

Well time to go. I had Peter B waiting for me at the workshop so it was, "Home James and don't spare the horses..." My shovel still played up on acceleration and I wondered how it would go up Tapleys. Surprise. Surprise. Part way along Marion Rd it suddenly cleared up and didn't miss a beat the rest of the way home...

Jason peeled off at Beach Rd and I blasted on home... really excellent riding with us side by side much of the way.

When I got home, went in to let mum know I was back and she had a friend from church visiting. I'd sent Rilda a text to say the bike was playing up but rideable. Didn't proof read it and it read 'playing up nut rideable' . So they were all worried and got together to pray and ask for a miracle. Not sure if the bike suddenly running right was an answer to their prayers or not, but sure made the end of the day much more enjoyable... and I WILL still chase through all the wiring and see if I can get to the bottom of the mystery.

Thank's for reading. Break downs are all part of the adventure and do test one's patience at times! But that's part and parcel of those mechanical marvels we call choppers.

Next event is Bike Only Swap Meet at Balhannah followed by Bike Show at Lockleys. I have to be in Pt Pirie the Saturday night before Lockleys on Sunday, so that will be an early start as it's about 2.5 hours ride... all in the dark. But have done it plenty of times before on my old U model chopper and then my 500 CB chop when I lived up there. Looking forwards to that adventure too.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

El Skitzo

Re: 2019 BilletProof visited by a couple of cool choppers

Post by El Skitzo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:51 am

I wonder if it could be the condenser? I had no end of dramas with them on my HD when I had it and went through heaps of them until I found a good one.
'65 Triumph Chopper (project)
'64 Triumph Chopper (project)

Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

Re: 2019 BilletProof visited by a couple of cool choppers

Post by Prof » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:10 pm

Checking electrics atm. Condensers are new, but will check them.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”