2019 MRSA Toy Run...

Pics of yours or other interesting bikes taken out and about. Reports of Choppers Australia rides, with lots of photos and great stories. If you are not confident writing up a story, email Prof & get some help... choppers are all about riding, so let's hear your stories.
Prof
Founder, Choppers Australia

2019 MRSA Toy Run...

Post by Prof » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:11 pm

I've been going to MRASA committee meetings this year and have discovered the enormous amount of work the small committee does in protecting bikers from over enthusiastic law makers. The list of their achievements is a long one. If you enjoy not having front number plates thank the MRASA. If you like being able to carry a pillion passenger at over 80km, thank the MRASA. Did you know that the MRASA stopped a proposed tax on motorcyclists? And there's much more. If you are not a member, I'd ask you to take out annual membership to support their work.

The annual toy run is a major money raiser for the MRASA and similarly for Vinnies who do so much to help children in difficult circumstances. Great Scott! I sound like a salesman!

Any way. Back to the toy run. I haven't been on one since the Glenelg days when riding up Cross Road was great fun but very congested. Decided to support the folks by going this year, despite 40 degree forecasts. A couple of the other CA members were planning to go, so we arranged to meet at the Britannia Hotel carpark at 9.45am.

Diamond tank CB750 I have for sale was registered so I offered it to any interested body... who turned out to be a customer, Aaron. Lionel was keen to pillion on my shovel chopper.

Had the two choppers ready at 7am...

Quite warm by the time we moved off and had a steady run into the city albeit with fairly thick traffic most of the way. A shot of Aaron on the CB...

The others were waiting for us at out rendezvous when we arrived fifteen minutes early and soon after, we cruised into Victoria Park, told off by a few of the marshalls; heck I was in bottom gear and almost slipping the clutch!...

Our choppers got continual attention, the shovel in particular often having half a dozen curious onlookers... with the new springer it is a standout machine despite as one person said, 'looking well used'...

We were the only choppers there amongst a few thousand bikes...

with only one little cafe...

and a couple of nice paint jobs...

There was also a triked Goldwing (two front wheels) ridden by a gentleman who introduced himself to me as having come on one our CA rides to Quorn; but I forgot to get a photo of his beast. As usual, Terry's XS got its share of attention particularly its striking paint job...

We hung around in the hot sun for an hour or more. We found some shade by the Police Road Safety booth alongside which we had parked. Posted there was a youngish motorcycle cop who lives not far from me. We initially met in the local supermarket carpark earlier this year and had had an interesting conversation about bikes and choppers in particular. I am always at a disadvantage because people recognise me by my distinctive chopper but I have no such advantage and usually have to have the connection explained. Anyway he is as pleased as punch to be riding rather than patrolling and I congratulated him because that had been his long term goal when I initially spoke to him. Instead of waiting years he got the position within 12 months. Turns out he and Peter had common acquaintances on the force and chatted for quite a while.

At 11.55 a noticeable hush settled over the crowd of now at least 3000 bikes as if by instinct all realised the ride was about to begin. Helmets and jackets were donned and five minutes later, distant motorcycle exhausts steadily turned into a roar as the whole crowd progressively started up... and off we went. Route was along Hutt Street and up Glen Osmond Road. A thin crowd of enthusiastic wavers was spread along the route though nothing like the packed throngs of yesteryear. We cruised four abreast at close to the speed limit so the old 'high fives' no longer took place though a lot of lollies could be seen bouncing into the gutters as we passed small groups.

The diamond CB has a range about 70 miles and I realised Aaron who was planning to head home soon after arriving at Callington would run out of go juice if there was no fuel station at Callington. I tried to get our group to turn off to the Crafers servo, by pulling into the off lane, but they all blasted past. Bugger! Caught up again and signalled and finally Rob blasted ahead and pulled the others over. Peter assured me there was fuel at Callington, so with a fair amount of difficulty, we finally managed to get back into the fast moving mob of bikes interspersed with equally fast moving tin cans. It was difficult to get alongside the others to get photos, so just these two shots off a short video I took...

The slowest part of the run was coming off the Freeway and into Callington Oval, but we finally rumbled in. A marshal was directing riders in a very roundabout way and Peter and Terry who were well ahead of Aaron and I and parked close to the entrance. They waved us in over a flattened plastic barrier fence. The Marshall was NOT happy and tried to pull it up as we went through... but we made it.

Rob had turned off earlier to go to his sons do of some sort, so here are our happy crew who made it...

We had all prepaid so got onto the oval quickly. Not a lot to see, though a can of drink was a welcome purchase. We dropped off our presents. I explained to the Vinnies lady taking our gifts, that I had packed up two sets of tools from my workshop specifically for teenage boys and had a letter in there offering to teach them at my workshop if wished. She thought that was a great idea, which was nice.

There were a couple of bike displays including Veteran and Vintage and Z club the latter being very well represented...

I picked up book of motorcycle stories as well as a near new tassled leather jacket for a good price, which someone of small girth coming to The Chopper Shed is sure to appreciate. Then it was out to our choppers to ride home...

Peter knew the area well and took the lead... back along the old Murray Bridge Nairne road...

It is a good road and we hooked along and a cracking pace behind a couple of girls on Harleys. Terry here motoring along...

Peter and Terry turned off on top of a rise before Nairne leaving Aaron, Lionel and I to proceed on our own way. Aaron who had just roared past Peter, hit his brakes hard and in the process hit the dirt almost putting the chopper down, but now doubt his years of trail bike riding saved what could have been a nasty spill.

A quick stop in Echunga for some refreshments and just great fast cruising home to Willunga.

Aaron and Lionel reckoned they had a great time despite the heat and we all went our ways with big smiles on our faces. Thanks for a fun day fellas.
Chopit'nrideit... Prof

Return to “On The Road Pics & Ride Reports...”